The SCLP will be reorganizing at the county level per SC Code of Laws, Title 7, Chapter 9, Sections 7-9-70 and 7-9-80 in the month of June. Only currently organized counties will be reorganizing; no previously unorganized counties will be organizing at this time. Dates, times, and locations for each county’s reorganization convention are listed below.
The process for organizing at the county level, given by the laws cited above, is detailed in Rule 5, Section 3, of the Rules of the South Carolina Libertarian Party (formerly known as the SCLP Bylaws) and is outlined here for your convenience:
- County chair calls the convention to order.
- Those present elect:
- A temporary convention president, to preside over the first portion of the meeting,
- A temporary convention secretary, who takes minutes, and
- A credentials committee (which can be the the temporary president and secretary if desired).
- The credentials committee verifies the voter registration and party membership of those present.
- Those delegates whose credentials have been verified then elect a permanent convention president and permanent convention secretary for the remainder of the meeting. These usually are, but don’t have to be, the same as the temporary president and secretary.
- The convention then elects the county committee, first the chair, then the vice chair, then the state committee representative, then any other persons it desires to have on the county committee. This can be as simple as electing all members present, provided that all are party members and registered voters of the county.
- The convention then elects delegates to the State Convention. This can also be as simple as electing all members present, again provided that all are party members and registered voters of the county.
- At this time, the convention may, if it wishes, adopt a local platform and rules, provided that these do not conflict with the SCLP or National LP platform or rules. Local platforms and rules are not common, but they have been done from time to time in some counties.
- Once all business is concluded, the convention should be recessed sine die, to be recalled in the event nominations for local offices are required.
Once the convention is over, the first meeting of the county committee begins. The newly elected county committee chair calls the committee meeting to order, and the committee’s only business at this time is to elect a county secretary, who may or may not be the convention secretary, and to determine a time for regular meetings.
Note that the process above is mandated by SC State Law; any inanity therein is the fault of the State, not the SCLP.
The following paperwork needs to be completed, usually by the secretary. Be careful to follow all the instructions included in each document. Also submit a copy of the convention minutes to the secretary of the State Party.
|Form||Why is this important?|
|Officer Elections||This is how SC knows you’re organized. Without this form, you aren’t legally organized, and your candidates can lose on a technicality.|
|State Convention Delegates||This is how we know who needs information about the State Convention.|
|County Committee Members||This is how we know who else is on your committee. It’s mostly just for your county’s own records, and only necessary if you have more than just officers.|
|SCLP Membership Pledge||This a way to become a member of the party. All national members are SCLP members, but we don’t get national’s data very often. This allows people to join and participate on short notice (e.g. the day of the county convention).|
|Minutes||This is how you prove in court that you followed proper procedure. Without this, your candidates can lose on a technicality. Keep a copy of these in your local records and also give the secretary of the State Party a copy to keep with the state records.|
These are the dates, times, and locations of each county’s reorganizing convention. Please monitor this information as it is subject to change.
Reorganizing June 8
Reorganizing June 15
Initial Organization April 27
|County||Convention Date and Time||Convention Location|
|Aiken||June 15th at Noon||Aiken County Courthouse, 109 Park Ave. SE, Aiken, SC 29801|
|Anderson||June 15th at Noon||Anderson County Courthouse, 100 S Main St., Anderson, SC 29624|
|Beaufort||June 15th at Noon||Beaufort County Courthouse, 102 Ribaut Rd., Beaufort, SC 29902|
|Berkeley||June 15th at Noon||Berkeley County Courthouse, 300 California Dr., Moncks Corner, SC 29461|
|Calhoun||June 15th at Noon||Calhoun County Courthouse, 102 Courthouse Dr., St Matthews, SC 29135|
|Charleston||June 8th at Noon||Makelab Charleston, 1610 Sam Rittenberg Blvd. Ste. D, Charleston, SC 29407|
|Colleton||June 15th at Noon||Colleton County Courthouse, 101 Hampton St., Walterboro, SC 29488|
|Darlington||June 15th at Noon||Darlington County Courthouse, 1 Public Square, Darlington, SC 29532|
|Dorchester||June 15th at Noon||Dorchester County Courthouse Annex, 212 Deming Way, Summerville, SC 29483|
|Florence||June 15th at Noon||Florence County Courthouse, 180 N Irby St., Florence, SC 29501|
|Georgetown||June 15th at Noon||Georgetown County Courthouse, 401 Cleland St., Georgetown, SC 29440|
|Greenville||June 15th at Noon||Greenville County Courthouse, 305 E North St., Greenville, SC 29601|
|Greenwood||June 15th at Noon||Greenwood County Courthouse, 528 Monument St., Greenwood, SC 29646|
|Horry||June 15th at Noon||Horry County Courthouse, 1301 2nd Ave., Conway, SC 29526|
|Jasper||June 15th at Noon||Jasper County Courthouse, 265 Russell St., Ridgeland, SC 29936|
|Kershaw||June 15th at Noon||Kershaw County Courthouse, 1121 Broad St., Camden, SC 29020|
|Laurens||June 15th at Noon||Laurens County Courthouse, 200 Courthouse Square, Laurens, SC 29360|
|Lee||June 15th at Noon||Lee County Courthouse, 113 Gregg St., Bishopville, SC 29010|
|Lexington||June 15th at Noon||Lexington County Courthouse, 205 E Main St., Lexington, SC 29072|
|Pickens||June 15th at Noon||Pickens County Courthouse, 214 E Main St., Pickens, SC 29671|
|Richland||June 15th at Noon||Richland County Courthouse, 1701 Main St., Columbia, SC 29204|
|Spartanburg||June 15th at Noon||Spartanburg County Courthouse, 180 Magnolia St., Spartanburg, SC 29306|
|Sumter||June 15th at Noon||Sumter County Courthouse, 215 N Harvin St., Sumter, SC 29150|
|York||June 15th at Noon||Charanda of Newport, 4811 Old York Rd. #101, Rock Hill, SC 29732|
All counties reorganizing at their respective courthouses will meet by the front steps.